Are you worried about going off track during the holidays? Me too! Below are “rules” that I follow when going to parties in general, and do so more strictly during the holidays.
- Drink water! This is my golden rule I follow any time I know I'll be faced with a lot of food and spirits. Drink a glass or two before you leave for the party and again before a big meal. Water helps you to feel full, and therefore you'll eat less!
- Eat breakfast. We all know that eating breakfast is the way to go when trying to lose weight or eat healthier. Eating breakfast will jump start your metabolism and help you feel full.
- Drink clear spirits over dark-colored ones. Dark alcohols like red wine and bourbon are made from acetone, fusel oil and tannins, which are present in much higher quantities among darker liquors than lighter ones. They are also believed to cause the headache part of hangovers. No good if you have to do a long run the next day!
- Eat the sugar cookie. Choose low-calorie cookies like frosting-less sugar and gingerbread cookies about the size of a lipstick.
- Don't deprive yourself. Remember that the holidays come once a year and they're full of foods you wouldn't normally eat. Enjoy these foods -not the usual chips and dip- using portion control.
- Get a visitor's pass. If you're traveling for the holidays, check out a local gym and get a visitor's pass to help you stay on track with your training.
2010 is just around the corner, and WalkJogRun has some more surprises in store for you to help you keep on track, or even pledge to start the new year with a healthy kick. I hope my two cents will help you feel better about indulging for the holidays!