To help you get the most out of your free membership, here are our top 10 tips for the site:
- iPhone/ iPad App – If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and love WalkJogRun you'll love our GPS App! WalkJogRun Running shows you the routes within 1 mile of your location wherever you go with your phone and lets you see the routes on a map and see calories burned for each route. It also features 23 Training Plans by Runners World contributor Jenny Hadfield for 5k, 10k, half-marathon and full marathon training. Get it here. Android app is soon to follow!
- Calories, speed and units – When you are viewing a specific route, you will see a helpful panel at the bottom of the screen showing calories, your speed, your pace, and your choice of units. You can click on any of the blue underlined elements to change the weight used for calorie calculations or recalculate your pace etc.
- Filter the routes – Zoom in to the point where you see pins and a list of routes on the right. You can filter the list of routes shown to see only routes of a specific distance like 3 miles or 10k by clicking the links on the right under “view routes by distance”. To clear the filter when you are done click “clear”.
- Edit an existing route – When you are viewing a specific route, you can add more turns by clicking new points on the screen or remove turns by clicking the “Undo last point” link in the toolbox in the top right corner of the map. When you are finished making changes you can hit “save this route” in the same toolbox. You will be able to save over the existing route or save it as a new route. If you make changes to someone else's route, you will only be given the option to save a new route, and it doesn't effect the owner's route.
- Make “out and back” routes – If you are making an out and back route where the last part of the run is the reverse of the first part of the run, you can save yourself clicks. Start as normal making your route to the half way point where you turn home. Click the “out and back” button in the toolbox in the top right corner of the map. Then click “save route” in the toolbox to save the route.
- Claim a route you created before you created an account – You may have created a route before you considered creating an account. You can claim those old routes by logging in and clicking the pin representing your old route. In the bubble that pops up you should click “claim this route”. You'll see a message to let you know it worked.
- Mark a route as private – If you create a route you don't want to show up for everyone to see, you can check the box marked “private” when you are saving a route. It will only be shown when you are logged in to the site. If you already created a public route and want to make it private, you should make sure you have claimed the route and then follow the instructions for editing a route above. When you hit “save route” you should be able to change the privacy option.
- Favorite a route – If you use a route often, you may want to add it to your favorite list. Click the little star in the right hand corner of the route to add it as a favorite.
- Tell the world! – First and foremost click the Facebook and Twitter icons when you are viewing a route to share your route on Facebook or Twitter. Feel free to share links to the site and screenshots of your routes on your blog, Facebook or anywhere else you want to let people know. If you have someone specific you want to tell about a route on the site, you can browse the list of routes, look on the right at the route list and under the one you want to share click the link “email”. If you are viewing a single route on screen you can do the same thing on the right under routes > “current route”.
- Buy a WalkJogRun Tech Tee for $10 – We've got some great white tech tees for just $10 each, long sleeve tech tees for $15, and race hats in our store if you need some new running gear! These also make great gifts!
We listen, so let us know what you think! Either send us an email or go to the “home” tab to the right of the map and go to “feedback”. There is a link “Let me know” you can use to tell us what you think.
Okay. So that's your whirlwind tour of some of the fun stuff. We add more features regularly so at the very least keep checking back on the site and sign up for the newsletter to make sure you hear about them first!
To set your email preferences, login to WalkJogRun and click “My Account” in the upper right hand corner.
Have fun and keep on walking, jogging and running!