Fall is upon us. We’re in that transitional time of year, should I wear running shorts or pants? Will it still be light enough when I get home or should I head out for a morning run instead? Soup or salad? Because the idea of soup is suddenly not so crazy. In celebration of this either or time of year I created a smoothie with hints of both summer and fall.
Brimming with fall flavors like pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg but still icy and cool because we can’t (read: I can’t) seem to close the door on all the goodness of summer. Although, I will admit that after I drank this today I had to put my sweater on.
In addition to this smoothie living on the cusp of both seasons, it’s also a potassium powerhouse! It calls for one cup of canned pumpkin and one banana, which together provide almost 25 percent of your daily potassium. Not to mention this smoothie is much lighter on the sugar than other famous pumpkin drinks popular this time of year.
Try this recipe before it’s too cold to really enjoy.
Pumpkin spice smoothie (vegan, gluten-free)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not canned pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (you can use maple syrup as well)
- Splash of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix (or a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Handful of ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until well combined and thick.
- On a whim I decided to add a touch of salt to this smoothie and it really brought the flavors to life. This is completely optional.
- I toyed around with the idea of adding a ½ cup of cold coffee in place of half of the almond milk to make it more reminiscent of a Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. If you try this please let us know how it turns out.
Written by Lisa Horvath.