If there’s someone on your list who’s resolved to become a runner in 2014, we’ve got you covered. Get your favorite runner-to-be started off on the right foot with these must-haves:
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Running Guide: The Key to Running Inspired ($13.49 paperback, $4.99 for Kindle). Tips on proper form, shoes, nutrition, training, and motivation.
- Gift card to a running specialty store ($50- 120). Only a running store professional can tell a runner what the best type of shoe is for their foot.
- Champion Double Dry Women’s T-shirt or Men’s T-shirt ($9.99 for women’s, $17.99 for men’s). Any new runner will quickly discover that moisture-wicking apparel is the way to go.
- Gaiam Restore 18-inch Foam Roller with DVD ($19.99). The foam roller is a sore runner’s best frenemy, plus this one comes with a DVD demonstrating proper use.
- The Complete Runner’s Day-By-Day Log 2016 Calendar ($9.99). A training diary allows you to record the specifics of each run so you can see how far you’ve come.
- Brooks LSD Women’s and Men’s Lite Jacket ($85). This windproof and water-resistant jacket folds up into its own pocket.
- The RoadID Shoe Pouch ID ($19.99). An ID is a safety must, and this shoe pouch version gives you a place to stash your key or some cash.
- Bodyglide Original Anti-Chafe Balm 2.5 ounces ($14.99). Bodyglide is a runner’s BFF – it protects from blisters, chafing, and bloody nipples.
- The WalkJogRun app ($4.99). We know, we couldn’t help ourselves. But with the most accurate iPhone GPS and more than 1.8 million running routes worldwide, it’s the perfect app for any novice or experienced runner.