We runners … well, we smell. Some more than others. But as a whole we are a stinky bunch during and post workouts.
Finding a quality deodorant that can stand the test of a double digit run on a sweltering day is a must for many of us. I recently polled a running group, and the following deodorants and antiperspirants are the favorites for keeping fresh and dry. And they’re available at most drug stores and pharmacies.
Let us know your go-to below!
Best women’s deodorant and antiperspirant combos
- Secret Clinical Strength Sport Fresh: A fan favorite, this deodorant will fight odor and perspiration on the most humid days. The makers say it’s best to apply at bedtime, and it will work all day the next even if you shower first thing in the morning. It comes in three different forms – visible solid, smooth solid, and clear gel.We like the “Sport Fresh” scent the best.
- Degree MOTIONSENSE: This antiperspirant and deodorant contains Degree’s MOTIONSENSE technology which “releases bursts of freshness with every move you make”. Not only will you smell good, but testers say it kept them dry through hour-long workouts.
- Suave Clinical Protection PROsolid: This budget-friendly option comes in pleasant, light scents. Most importantly, it keeps athletes dry and odor-free. One tester noted she was surprised when she didn’t have to reapply it immediately after her speed workout – the product was still working from the first application.
Best men’s deodorant and antiperspirant combos
- Mitchum Advanced Control Sport: This antiperspirant and deodorant combination offers 48-hour protection from odor and wetness. One of our testers agreed with the claim. He applied it before a 90-mile bike ride and said he was definitely making the permanent switch to Mitchum. The invisible solid goes on clear. It also comes in an invisible roll-on and a gel.
- Dove Men Care Clinical Protection: This prescription-strength formula kept users dry and odor-free all day long. In addition to the 48-hour protection, this product also moisturizes your sin, so it’s less likely than other formulas to irritate your skin.
- Right Guard Sport: This antiperspirant has been around for more than 50 years and is a popular choice among active men. It keeps you dry for up to 48 hours and comes in several forms, including a solid, gel, and the best-selling aerosol spray.
Best natural choice
- Tom’s Long Lasting Unscented Deodorant: Many natural or organic deodorant choices leave us smelling gross and soaked a mile into a run. But Tom’s might be the only natural brand that actually works for athletes. The brand claims 24-hour odor protection and we’re here to tell you it’s true. This deodorant held up in the heat and on long runs, and continued to block odor for the rest of the day. It has an ingredient list that will appeal to the natural crowd – it’s aluminum-free and doesn’t contain any artificial colors, preservatives, or fragrances. Plus, there’s a men’s version, too!
Written by Jen Matz.